Tristan da Cunha – level 2
Tristan da Cunha is a British territory. It is also the loneliest human colony on Earth with only 265 residents. The island is situated midway between South Africa and South America.
In the 1960s, residents to be evacuated to England when the volcano on the island erupted. When the island was safe again, the people returned. However, around 3/4 of the people preferred England to the lonely island.
The residents of the island are looking for a farming advisor who could help them increase their food production. So if you like farming and you like being alone, this could be the job for you!
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the benefits of living on Tristan da Cunha for those who choose not to leave?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.