Trump cannot run for president in Maine – level 3
Maine’s top election official, Secretary of State Shenna Bellows, has barred Donald Trump from running for president in 2024 due to his alleged role in the US Capitol riot.
This decision aligns with Colorado’s similar move, intensifying pressure on the US Supreme Court. Bellows cites the 14th Amendment, which prohibits individuals engaged in insurrection from holding federal office. Trump’s campaign plans to appeal in Maine’s courts. California announced Trump’s inclusion in its Republican primary ballot. The Supreme Court may ultimately decide Trump’s eligibility.
Critics claim the decision is politically motivated, while Trump’s rivals and supporters condemn the move, anticipating a rapid Supreme Court showdown.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What is the role of the 14th Amendment in barring individuals from holding federal office and how does it relate to Trump's potential candidacy in the 2024 presidential election?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.