Turkey and Kurds – level 3
Turkey launched airstrikes on Afrin, a district and a city in the north of Syria, on Saturday to drive out Kurdish fighters from the region.
After four days of fighting, Turkish soldiers moved into the Kurdish enclave. Turkish officials want to create a 30-kilometres ‘safe zone’ around the Afrin district.
Turkey says that the YPG is an outlawed Kurdish rebel group that is fighting inside its borders. Turkey’s operation is called ‘Operation Olive Branch’ and it raised tensions with the USA.
Difficult words: launch (start), district (an area of a country), enclave (a smaller area which is surrounded by a bigger area; people in the small area are in some way different from the people in the big area), raise tensions (make a situation between people or countries worse).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.