Tutankhamun Statue – level 2
Recently, people sold a 3,000-year-old Egyptian statue at a London auction. The anonymous buyer paid nearly $6 million for the 28-centimetre statue which looks a little like the pharaoh Tutankhamun.
The Egyptian embassy in London protested against the auction. The embassy said that someone stole the statue, but the auction house said that it carefully checked the object’s legal title.
Difficult words: anonymous (we do not know the person’s name), embassy (a country’s ‘office’ in another country), legal title (something which shows that the person who has an object did not steal it).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.