Two men go missing in the Amazon – level 2
British journalist Dom Philips and Brazilian official Bruno Araujo Pereira went missing last week.
The two men disappeared in the Javari area, where some of the most isolated indigenous people in the world live. Phillips was in Brazil to research for his book about indigenous people.
Police said that Pereira had a conflict over illegal fishing with some people who lived along a river. Only one week before he went missing, he received death threats. Police interviewed two people who saw the two men, but they didn’t arrest anyone.
Meanwhile, people gathered outside the Brazilian Embassy in London, UK, and they asked officials to search for the men quickly. The Brazilian forest was dangerous, and every minute could decide if the men lived or died.
Difficult words: isolated (far away from other places or people), indigenous (people who lived in a place before other people came to live there), death threat (a message that you will kill or hurt someone if he does or doesn’t do something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos