Two years of COVID-19 – level 2
In December 2019, scientists found a mysterious virus in Wuhan, China. A virus is a type of illness. At that time, nobody knew that the COVID-19 pandemic had just started.
Health officials did not worry too much because they did not think that the virus would move throughout the world. But in January 2020, COVID-19 made people sick in Europe and in the US.
People started to panic, and it was very difficult to buy normal things like toilet paper. Scientists knew very little about the virus, and doctors did not know how to help people with it. Hospitals were full of COVID-19 patients, and many of them died.
In December 2020, scientists created three vaccines, and the situation finally started to change. A vaccine is a medicine to help you fight an illness. There were several waves of people getting sick since 2019, and in many countries, there is a new wave now. Interestingly, the patients in hospitals now are mostly people who did not get a vaccine.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.