Typhoon Mangkhut – level 2
Mangkhut is a very powerful typhoon to hit Southeast Asia, as it caused landslides in two villages in the Philippines. Thirty-three people died and another 29 are still missing. People are looking for survivors, but they fear that up to 100 people died.
The typhoon moved west to China. It brought strong winds to China’s Guangdong province. City streets were covered under water, and 500,000 people had to evacuate. A scaffolding was blown off a building in Hong Kong by the strong winds.
The typhoon is moving inland and will become weaker.
Difficult words: typhoon (a large tropical storm), survivor (somebody who survives – lives through something very hard), scaffolding (a structure on which builders stand to build or repair a building).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.