UK and EU make a deal about Northern Ireland – level 1
The Northern Ireland Protocol says how UK and EU do business with Northern Ireland after Brexit.
There are many problems with the Protocol. UK and EU leaders meet in London. They discuss some changes. Three big changes happen. In Northern Ireland, the Green and Red lane will be for goods which stay in the UK and which move to the EU. Every pharmacy and hospital in Northern Ireland will have drugs which UK authorities approve for use. The last change is in taxes. Some UK taxes will apply in Northern Ireland, too.
Difficult words: goods (things which companies sell), approve (to make something officially possible), tax (money to the state which people pay for goods and services).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are three big changes that happen in the Northern Ireland Protocol?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos