UK and EU make a deal about Northern Ireland – level 2
Britain and EU leaders met in London, UK, to discuss changes to the Northern Ireland Protocol.
The Protocol states how UK and EU do business with Northern Ireland after Brexit, and it is causing many problems now. The so-called Windsor Framework introduces three changes to the Protocol.
There will be Green and Red lane for goods which stay in the UK and those which move to the EU. Every drug, which the UK’s medicine regulator approves, will be available in pharmacies and hospitals in Northern Ireland. The last change is that some UK taxes will apply in Northern Ireland.
Difficult words: goods (things which companies sell), medicine regulator (a state organization which registers new drugs), tax (amount of money which people pay to a government for things which they buy).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the three changes to the Northern Ireland Protocol introduced by the Windsor Framework?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos