UK au pair industry – level 3
The UK government is facing challenges in making child care more affordable and getting more women back to work.
Previously, au pairs were a popular option for child care, offering reasonable prices, flexible assistance, and cultural experiences. However, since Brexit in January 2020, the au pair industry has been severely affected. Agencies have reported a drastic decline in business, up to 95%, due to stricter immigration rules for European citizens. As a result, families, especially women, have had to reduce their working hours due to the high costs of nurseries.
Before Brexit, there were approximately 90,000 au pairs in the UK, with many coming from European countries. However, the opportunities for au pairs to enter the UK have diminished. Currently, only a small group of individuals with settled or pre-settled status or those eligible for the Youth Mobility Scheme visa can work as au pairs in the country.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What steps do you think the UK government should take to make child care more accessible and affordable for families?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.