UK rail strike – level 2
Nearly 40,000 UK rail service workers went on strike on Tuesday. The rail strike was the country’s biggest in the last 30 years.
Millions of people couldn’t travel because many trains didn’t run. 10,000 staff at the London Underground were on strike, too. The event was complete chaos. Only about 20% of trains were running, and the worst situation was in Scotland and Wales.
Workers planned two more strikes in the same week. Prime Minister Boris Johnson said that the strikes would bring even more problems to the country, which was already going through difficult economic times.
Difficult words: strike (to stop work and protest about work), chaos (a situation when nobody knows what is happening and what to do), economic (money and business).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos