UK sends people to Africa – level 2
The UK decided to stop migrants from coming to the country by boats. The journey is very dangerous and many people die on the way.
Most migrants are young single men, and if they get to the UK, they usually get asylum and stay in the country. The British government wants to stop people from risking their lives.
In the next five years, the country will send some migrants to Rwanda. In Rwanda, migrants will wait until officials work with them and their documents. Many people criticize this plan because Rwanda is a poor country with many problems, and migrants stay there in small rooms with only beds.
The UK is one of other countries to send migrants to detention centers. For example, Australia and Denmark have strict immigration policies, and they send migrants to other countries, too.
Difficult words: asylum (a safe place to stay), detention center (a place where illegal migrants stay until officials work with them and their documents), immigration policy (how a country deals with the people who come from other countries).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos