UK shootings – level 3
Six people, including a child, were killed in a mass shooting in the city of Plymouth in southwest England. The rare incident happened on Thursday, and it was described by officials as shocking.
UK has one of the lowest gun homicide rates in the world, and Thursday’s incident was the country’s first mass shooting in over a decade. Police said that the serious incident wasn’t related to terrorism, and the suspect died in the shooting.
According to a witness, the gunman kicked in the front door of a home before shooting a mother and her daughter. After the attack, the suspect shot and injured two more people on the same street, and then, he escaped through a park behind the house where he shot two dog walkers before he turned the gun on himself.
Hundreds of people attended a vigil in Plymouth on Friday close to where the victims were killed.
Difficult words: rare (not occurring very often), homicide (a murder), vigil (a quiet gathering).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos