Ukraine dam collapses – level 2
A dam in Ukraine broke, it caused a flood and forced thousands of people to evacuate.
The cause of the dam break is unclear. President Zelensky said that Russia destroyed the dam, but Russia denied that. The dam is important because it provides water to farmers, residents, and a nuclear power plant. Videos showed water pouring out of the dam and flooding nearby towns. Rescuers need to evacuate about 40,000 people. Some of them are in Ukraine-controlled territory and others in Russian-controlled territory.
There are concerns about the impact on the nuclear power plant, but the situation is currently under control. World leaders condemn the incident as a war crime.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the current status of those who were evacuated from the flooded area?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.