UN Secretary-General speaks about Pakistan floods – level 1
A monsoon is a wind. It brings rain to Southern Asia. It happens every year from May to September. This year’s rain is much heavier than usual. Floods happen in all parts of Pakistan.
Millions of people lose their homes. They have nowhere to go. 1,150 people die. Water destroys homes, roads, and the power supply. Pakistan asks the UN for help. The country needs 160 million dollars.
Antonio Guterres is the UN leader. He speaks to world leaders last week. He says that the floods happen because of climate crisis. All the world must do something quickly.
Difficult words: floods (when water goes into people’s homes and on roads), power supply (large cables which bring electricity to buildings), climate crisis (dangerous changes in the weather on our planet).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos