US Government Shutdown – level 1
The US partial government shutdown is 22 days long. It is the longest shutdown ever. The longest US shutdown was 21 days.
President Trump and the Democrats see things differently. President Trump wants $5.7 billion to build a very long wall between the US and Mexico. The Democrats think that a wall will not fix the border problems. One Democrat says that there are other ways to fix the problems.
The long government shutdown changes jobs for 800,000 government workers. Some cannot work. Some are working without pay.
Difficult words: partial (not complete), government shutdown (when some parts of the government close because the leaders cannot agree on how to spend money), Democrats (a political party in the United States that feels different than the President Donald Trump), border (the line between countries).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos