US Kills Two Prisoners – level 2
In 2003, a court convicted Wesley Purkey of murder. Purkey killed a 16-year-old girl in Kansas City, USA. The court sentenced Purkey to death. The plan was to execute Purkey this week on Wednesday.
However, the judge worried about the man´s mental health. In 2003, Purkey was a healthy man; however, this week Purkey´s lawyers said that Purkey did not understand the situation anymore because he had Alzheimer´s disease. In the last minutes of his life, Purkey apologized to the girl´s family and to his own daughter, too.
US federal officials executed two prisoners this week, and it was very unusual. The last time it happened was almost 20 years ago. Usually, each state decides about its own prisoners.
Difficult words: convict (to say that someone did something wrong through a court system), sentence (to say what will happen to someone who did something wrong through a court system), execute (to kill someone legally after a court decides about it), Alzheimer’s disease (a disease that affects the mind of a person as he or she gets older).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.