Vaccine Volunteers – level 2
Doctors in Chicago, Illinois, USA are testing a new COVID-19 vaccine, and more than 25,000 volunteers are taking part in the trial. A trial is a scientific study.
One part of the test is a blind study when volunteers do not know if they are getting the vaccine or a placebo. A placebo is a drug that does not have any effect on the body; however, some people believe that the body reacts to it as if it were a real drug.
Bonnie Blue is a 68-year-old Black woman who has asthma. It means that if she got COVID-19, it could be dangerous for her. She has become a volunteer in the study. Her friends tried to talk her out of it; however, she believes that she is doing the right thing. Blue said that she wanted to help researchers make the COVID-19 vaccine.
Difficult words: volunteer (a person who offers to take part in something), react (to act because of something else), asthma (a disease which makes problems with breathing), talk somebody out of something (to speak to someone and make him change his mind).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.