Venice Underwater – level 1
In Italy, there is a city called Venice. It lies on many small islands. There are many canals and bridges. It can be dangerous when the sea level goes up.
Last week, the water level rises very much. It damages many houses and shops. It is the highest water level in the last fifty years.
On Sunday, more water comes and floods houses, restaurants and hotels again. Officials say that there is an emergency situation. They close the famous St. Mark’s Square. This situation does not stop some tourists. and they decide to tour the city.
The mayor of Venice says that the damage is hundreds of millions of dollars.
Difficult words: rise (to go up), damage (verb: to break, noun: the loss of something that breaks), flood (to fill houses and streets with water), mayor (the leader of a city).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos