Voting in Congo – level 2
The Democratic Republic of the Congo never had a peaceful transition of power. When a new person becomes the leader, people start fighting. Voting for a new president just happened and people are worried.
The election officials do not want to release the presidential election results, which is not good. Some people think that the votes will be manipulated, so that the candidate which the current president wants to become the next president can win.
We do not know the winner of the election, but all three of the presidential candidates are saying that they won.
Difficult words: a peaceful transition of power (when a leader peacefully stops being a leader for the next leader to take over), election (electing – voting/choosing the leader), release (show officially).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos