War in Yemen – level 2
The civil war in Yemen started three years ago, and more than 10,000 people died from it. The war is between a pro-government coalition and the Houthi rebels.
Saudi Arabia backs the coalition, and Iran backs the Houthis. In 2015, the Houthis captured Hodeida, which is an important port in Yemen.
The Saudi-led coalition is trying to take this port city back, and recently it launched airstrikes. Since Hodeida is a port, things and food cannot get to people.
Many people also die in the airstrikes, and schools, hospitals, and even wedding parties are hit. In response, the Houthis fire missiles at Saudi Arabia.
Difficult words: civil war (a war between the people of one country), coalition (a group of people that agree to work on something), launch (start), airstrike (an attack from a plane).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos