Water in metro – level 2
Madrid experienced the heaviest rainfall since 1972, which led to severe flooding in the metro.
Two people died and two others went missing in Spain. Videos on social media showed water pouring into moving metro carriages and shocking passengers. In Aldea del Fresno, firefighters rescued a 10-year-old boy who went missing, while another man disappeared in Villamanta after water and mud swept him away.
Several bridges collapsed, and roads, subways, and trains closed due to the flooding. Madrid’s mayor asked people to stay home. The weather agency warned of extreme weather in several regions. Experts predicted up to 120 liters of rain per square meter.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What impact has the flooding had on the Madrid public transportation system?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.