Waterspout in Italy – level 3
Someone filmed a massive waterspout in the port of Salerno in south-west Italy, not far from Naples. Nobody was injured as the vortex hit the port, but one Italian news outlet reported that several freight containers were lifted up and thrown around.
After hitting land, the waterspout dissolved quickly.
Difficult words: waterspout (a rotating column of water – something like a water tornado, but not as strong as a tornado), vortex (a rotating mass of air and water), freight containers (a big box for transporting things on or off of a ship), dissolve (get smaller and smaller until something is gone).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.