Wear Red Day – level 2
The American Heart Association created Wear Red Day. On the first Friday of February, people in America wear red clothes to make others aware about heart disease in women.
In the US, heart disease kills one in three women every year, which is more than all the cancers together. Doctors worry because younger and younger women have heart disease. Many women in their 20s and 30s already have some kind of heart disease, which was unusual ten or twenty years ago.
Heart disease is about 80% preventable, which means that people can often stop it from happening. The most important things are a healthy diet and enough exercise. People should eat enough grains, fruit and vegetables and drink less sugary drinks. More important things are to stop smoking, get enough sleep, and see friends.
Difficult words: aware (knowing that something exists), cancer (a disease when a part of the body starts to grow without control), diet (the food which somebody eats).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos