Weather and tea – level 2
Weather changes caused problems for southern Indian tea farmers.
In June, heavy rains fell and damaged the plants; in addition, workers couldn’t pick tea leaves in the rain. In July, very hot weather came, and temperatures reached 39 degrees Celsius. The work in tea plantations was too difficult, and farmers also had too many insects in their plants.
In India, tea plants depend on the weather. This year’s weather was so unusual and extreme that farmers lost about 25-30% of their crops.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.