Western Australia Storm – level 1
On Monday, a heavy storm hits Western Australia. Strong wind makes big waves. The speed of the wind is more than 60 mph. The waves are 26 feet high.
The storm damages many houses. In Perth, 65,000 houses are without electricity. Many people call the emergency services. People need help. However, it is not possible to fix the electricity network in the strong wind.
In Geraldton, strong wind makes a dust storm. People cannot see anything in the dust.
Such storms are not normal in Western Australia. Weather experts say that such storms come once every 10 years. A tropical storm meets cold air. The result is a rare and very heavy storm.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.