Whales Strand – level 1
500 hundred pilot whales strand in Tasmania, Australia. The whales end up in shallow water. They cannot get back in the sea. This is a usual thing in Tasmania.
400 whales die. Rescuers save 50 whales. Rescuers try to save more of them. However, rescuers do not have a lot of time. The whales cannot stay out of water for long.
Pilot whales are social animals. This means they live in groups. They like to stay together. Scientists do not know why whales strand in Tasmania.
It is possible that whales choose the wrong way. The other animals follow them. However, there are other opinions, too. Some scientists believe that ships confuse the animals.
Difficult words: strand (when a boat or sea animal ends up in a place with not enough water), shallow (a sea or river with little water), confuse (to make somebody unable to understand something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos