When An Asteroid Hits Earth – level 2
An organization released a video. It shows an asteroid that hits Earth. The group uses the video to say that impacts of asteroids are common, more common than scientists believed.
The video uses data from a global network. The network listens to nuclear weapons detonations. Between 2000 and 2013, 26 big explosions were detected. They were not caused by nuclear weapons but by asteroids.
NASA watches asteroids that are larger than 1 kilometer.
Difficult words: impact (the moment when one thing hits another), detonation (explosion), detect (to notice or discover).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think is the likelihood of an asteroid hitting Earth?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos