Why people in Sweden do not smoke – level 1
Meet Morton. He is 20 years old. He lives in Stockholm, the capital of Sweden. He does not smoke. He uses snus.
Snus is a small bag with tobacco. It is not for smoking. You put it under your lip. Sweden has very few smokers, only 5.6%. Nowadays, more people use snus than cigarettes. Snus is very popular among women. Some people use nicotine bags without tobacco. People say that snus is good. But doctors worry. They say that snus is a new addiction.
Morton says that snus helps him relax. People believe that snus is safer than cigarettes. Sweden has strict rules for smoking since the 1990s. These rules may make people smoke less.
Difficult words: tobacco (a plant which contains a chemical called nicotine), nicotine (a toxic colorless chemical), addiction (when you cannot stop using or doing something, such as alcohol, cigarettes, or food).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are some possible reasons for the decrease in smoking rates in Sweden since the 1990s?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.