Why people stutter – level 2
Reports say that 70 million people worldwide stutter. This is about one percent of the whole population.
People who stutter have problems when they speak. Usually, they make a pause before they say a difficult word, or they repeat the same word several times. Scientists found that these people have different brains, so you cannot always stop a stutter.
More people in one family often stutter, so the condition is genetic, too. Interestingly, men stutter three times more than women, but scientists don’t really know why.
People can learn some techniques, which make their stutter less obvious, but these techniques don’t change the brain. They learn to understand that how we speak is more important rather than what we say.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.