Winter Olympics and the natural world – level 3
China is showcasing low-carbon technologies for the green Winter Olympics; however, there’s strong criticism over the environmental impact of the Games.
Beijing announced plans to run a carbon-negative Winter Games. It will use technologies such as natural refrigeration at ice rinks or venues powered by wind farms. According to officials, the Games are a driving force to improve the environment. China is the world’s biggest polluter, and it wants to show off its leadership in climate-friendly technology.
However, environmentalists complained about the excessive use of artificial snow. For months, hundreds of snow generators created snow in arid mountains that receive little natural snow and have little water. Officials claimed the snow generators used the most advanced systems for international sustainability requirements.
Difficult words: showcase (to show the best qualities or parts of something), arid (dry), sustainability (the idea that people can make goods and services should without damage to the environment, and therefore they can continue for a long time).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.