World Giraffe Day – level 2
In the northern hemisphere, June 21st is the date with the longest day of the year, and in the southern hemisphere, the opposite is true – as the night of the date is the year’s longest.
People make 21st June World Giraffe Day because it is the animal with the longest neck. The day raises awareness of the tallest land animal that can grow to around six metres and eats leaves and buds.
Difficult words: hemisphere (a half of the planet), raise awareness (teach people), bud (a thing on a plant from which a leaf later grows).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos