World War II Bomb Explodes – level 3
A massive 5.4-ton bomb that was found in a Polish canal exploded as it was being disarmed by naval divers.
The six-meter explosive device that was nicknamed ’Tallboy’ was dropped by the RAF during a 1945 raid on a German battle cruiser. In September 2019, it was rediscovered in a busy navigation canal between the Oder river and the Baltic Sea during work to deepen the waterway.
Around 750 civilians had been evacuated from the area before the high-risk operation. A 2.5-kilometre security zone had been established in the area, and all traffic in the port had been suspended. Navy divers intended to neutralize the bomb by burning out its 2.5 tons of explosives using a remote-controlled device; however, the bomb went off. No divers were hurt, and officials said that there had been no damage to people’s health or buildings.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.