World’s largest cruise ship – level 2
The world’s largest cruise ship Icon of the Seas is ready for its first journey. It uses liquefied natural gas (LNG).
LNG is cleaner than the fuel which ships normally use, but some experts worry about methane emissions. The ship has a capacity for 8,000 passengers and 20 decks. Such cruises are becoming more popular.
The International Council on Clean Transportation says that LNG may produce over 120% more greenhouse gas emissions than usual fuel. Royal Caribbean claims that the ship will produce fewer emissions than usual, but environmental groups ask for careful examination and research into the impact of LNG-fueled cruise ships.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Do you think that the use of LNG on cruise ships should be closely monitored and researched to assess its impact on the environment? Why or why not?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.