World’s oldest woman dies – level 2
The oldest woman in the world died on April 19 at the age of 119.
Kane Tanaka was born in Japan in 1903. When she was 19, she married an owner of a rice shop. She worked there until she was 103. For the past few years, Tanaka lived in a nursing home in the city of Fukoka.
Many historical events happened during her life. The woman lived through both world wars, the 1918 Spanish flu, and the COVID-19 pandemic. Also, she survived cancer twice.
In 2020, one in every 1,565 people in Japan was more than 100 years old, and 88% of them were women. Women’s life expectancy was 87.45 years, and men’s life expectancy was 81.4 years.
Difficult words: nursing home (a place where elderly people live), cancer (a disease when a part of the body starts to grow without control), life expectacy (the number of years which a person can expect to live).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.