Xi Meets Kim – level 2
Chinese President Xi Jinping met North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. It was the first trip by a Chinese leader to North Korea in 14 years.
The meeting was mostly symbolic – it showed the friendship of the two countries before the G-20 summit. The summit starts tomorrow in Japan.
The red carpet was rolled out and thousands of people waved flags along the streets. The two leaders attended a banquet and then a gymnastics performance titled ‘Undefeated Socialism’. Kim said that socialism is the most important part of the North Korean–China friendship and that the two countries must protect it and build it together.
The two leaders later had a discussion, but it is not known what they discussed. However, Xi said China would continue to mediate talks between USA and North Korea. People later said that Kim and Xi talked about the political situation in North and South Korea and other serious international and regional problems.
Difficult words: banquet (a formal dinner for many people), undefeated (not defeated – not beaten), mediate (work with two groups to help them get along).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos