Young people and concussion – level 2
Hannah Parmenter, who is now 21, got a serious concussion when she was 11 while playing soccer. She still has problems from the concussion today.
1.7 million to 3 million young people get concussions every year from playing sports. Doctors used to think that rest was the best treatment for concussions in children. But these days, researchers think that returning to school soon after a concussion might be better. Children who missed less school had fewer problems after two weeks. This means that returning to school and daily life may help the brain recover.
Doctors recommend that parents with children who get concussions should help them socialize, not miss too much school, sleep well, and do light exercise. The research shows that doctors can help kids with concussions, and they should not just wait for them to get better.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What strategies can parents and doctors use to help children recover from a concussion?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.