Young People and Race – level 1
Nowadays, young people communicate mostly on social media. Young people get their news and information from Twitter, Instagram, or influencers.
Young people often speak about social problems. Racism is one social problem. For young people, it is important to speak about racism. Many young people are interested in this problem.
One account on social media focuses on social problems. The account has 10,000 people who like it in June. However, it has 1.4 million people in September. It means that people are more and more interested in social problems.
However, it is not good to believe all information on social media. Some accounts support racism. Families and friends must speak about these problems openly. It is not good to talk about them only on social media.
Difficult words: communicate (to talk or write with other people), influencer (a person who writes his ideas and opinions on social media, and many people believe him), social problem (a problem that many people know about or talk about), racism (when somebody does not like somebody else because this person has different skin color), account (a person’s information on a website or a social media site).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.