Young people lose hearing – level 1
Experts say that more than 1 billion young people cannot hear well.
They are between 12 and 34 years old. Young people often hear a loud continuous noise in their ears. Their hearing tests look normal. Later, their hearing test results are worse.
Experts know reasons why this situation happens. Young people listen to their headphones. They go to concerts. The music is too loud. Sometimes, music in restaurants is loud, too.
Decibels tell us how loud something is. The sound of a food mixer is 85 decibels. The sound of a train is 100 decibels. Experts say that it is safe to listen to 85 decibels at work.
Sometimes we can lose hearing when we hear something very loud only once. Loud noise kills the cells in our ears. We cannot fix the situation.
Difficult words: result (the information we get from a test or experiment), headphones (a device which people wear over their ears to listen to music), cell (the smallest part in the human body).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos