A boat catches fire – level 3
Three British tourists are missing after a scuba diving boat they were on caught fire off Egypt’s Red Sea coast.
The incident occurred near Marsa Alam, near Elphinstone, a well-known diving site with a reputation for encounters with sharks. The boat named Hurricane encountered a devastating fire, believed to have been caused by an electrical short circuit. Twelve British nationals and 12 Egyptian crew members were rescued and taken to safety. The search is ongoing for the missing tourists. Preliminary investigations suggest that the fire started in the boat’s engine room.
Egypt’s Red Sea resorts are popular among European holidaymakers and are known for their diving sites. Egypt has been working to revive its tourism industry, which has suffered due to various factors, including political instability and the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What investigation techniques are being used to locate the missing British tourists?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.