A robot works with food – level 3
A Japanese robot company introduced an automated system with a humanoid robot to package noodles.
The 1.5-meter tall robot has an image recognition system to capture the food. The robot uses fork-like hands to pick up noodles and place them on a conveyor belt to weigh the noodles. The robot can pick up to 500 grams of noodles or other foods, including chopped vegetables or fried chicken.
Japan is struggling with a dwindling workforce in the food manufacturing industry, and such robots could be a solution to the labor shortage. Replacing some workers in factories with these robots can cut labor costs and keep better social distancing between staff during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Difficult words: image recognition (the ability of a software to identify objects or features), conveyor belt (a continuous moving surface that moves objects from one place to another), dwindle (to gradually become smaller in size or amount).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.