Alcohol Going Up – level 2
Scientists study how much people drink between 1990 and 2017. The study is global, and it includes everyone older than 15.
In 1990, the average person drank 5.9 litres of pure alcohol per year. In 2017, the number was up to 6.5 litres a year. For 2017, such amount of alcohol is a drink every day. If this trend continues, the average person will drink eight drinks a week.
Not only are people drinking more, more people are drinking, too. Around 45% of people drank in 1990, and 47% of people drank in 2017. This can rise to 50% by 2030.
Drinking alcohol can be dangerous. The World Health Organisation says that 3 million people die because of alcohol every year.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.