Ancient Roman Gloves – level 3
People discovered rare Roman gloves in northern England near Hadrian’s Wall, which was a defensive wall that the Roman emperor built in ad 122.
Roman soldiers practised boxing as an ancient sport to improve their skills and fitness, and they designed the leather gloves to fit over their knuckles as a protective guard.
The gloves are the only surviving specimen from the period around ad 120 and are on display at the Vindolanda Museum along with other Roman items.
Difficult words: ad (‘anno domini’ – after the birth of Jesus Christ), ancient (very old), knuckles (the area where the finger and the hand join), specimen (an example), item (a thing).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos