Australia Day – level 3
On January 26th, Australians marked Australia Day with both celebrations and protests as the day commemorates the arrival of the British First Fleet in Sydney in 1788.
Nationwide celebrations included parades, Aboriginal dances and citizenship ceremonies. On the other hand, many people dub 26th January as Invasion Day, due to the effect of settlement on indigenous Australians. Tens of thousands of people attended a rally in Melbourne, calling for equal rights for Aboriginal people.
Difficult words: Aboriginal (of the Aboriginal people – the people who were already living in Australia when the Europeans came), citizenship ceremonies (the final step of becoming an Australian citizen), dub (call), indigenous (original to a place), rally (a protest).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.