Black Stories – level 3
Since June, companies like Netflix and Disney+ have been promoting Black stories. KweliTV, a streaming service entirely devoted to Black artists, films, and documentaries, more than doubled its number of subscribers since April.
The founder and CEO of KweliTV, DeShuna Spencer, said that it was great seeing so many people wanting to understand Black culture more. However, the growing demand for stories from Black artists does not focus only on the US. The success of ´Black Panther´ and its depiction of the made-up African country also threw a spotlight on stories from Africa.
Outside of US films, KweliTV´s largest group of content comes from South Africa, Ghana, Kenya, and Nigeria, which is home to Nollywood. However, despite the massive amount of titles and artists from Africa, there is still a struggle to show films globally, because the films are not supported like Hollywood or the Chinese movie industry.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Do you think that rugby should have tackling?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.