Brexit Deal – level 2
It seems that the Brexit talks between the UK and the EU are coming to an end. But there is one topic that still stirs emotions, and it is fishing. Britain´s prime minister said that the country wanted to take back control of British waters.
In 2019, fishing made only 0.03% of Britain´s production, so why is it so important for the Brits?
Many people see fishing as a symbol of Britain´s power, so they want Britain to keep its waters. The EU does not agree with it, and it wants to have access to British waters.
For France, it is very important to have access to British waters, and without it, the country would have big problems.
Difficult words: stir emotions (to make people feel strongly), fishing (the activity to hunt animals that live in the water), production (the things that a place makes), symbol (something that represents ideas or other things), access (to get to or inside a place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.