California storms – level 3
Nearly 85,000 households and businesses are without power in the Los Angeles area as storms pummeled parts of California, United States.
Unusual winter storms have continued to sweep parts of California with rain, snow, and freezing temperatures. Heavy snow forced roads in higher elevations to be closed, and several points of the freeway in and around Los Angeles were closed due to flooding caused by rain and hails. Authorities warned residents of the state capital Sacramento to avoid traveling from Sunday to Wednesday.
On Sunday, storms brought wind gusts of up to 80 kilometers per hour in the Sacramento Valley and up to 110 kilometers per hour in the nearby Sierra Nevada mountains.
Difficult words: pummel (to hit repeatedly), gust (a sudden strong rush of wind).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What is the latest update on the power situation in the Los Angeles area?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos