Chile protests – level 2
Chile is the richest country in South America. Millions of migrants want to live there, and many of them come from Venezuela.
Last week, people protested in the Chilean city of Iquique. There was a migrant camp in the town center, but authorities decided to close it. There was a very bad situation, as the place was dirty, and some migrants were sick.
When authorities closed the camp, the migrants wandered through the town. They wanted to stay on the beach, but local people did not like it. They protested, and they burned some of the migrants’s things.
Venezuela is a very poor country, and millions of people left in recent years. This year´s inflation for Venezuela is about 3,000%.
Difficult words: migrant (a person who travels to another place or country usually to find work or to be safe), wander (to walk around without a plan or idea where to go), inflation (when it is very hard to buy things because prices go up and money cannot buy very many things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.