China wants peace talks – level 2
On Friday, it was the first anniversary of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
Chinese officials released a 12-point document, in which they urged Ukraine and Russia to stop the conflict. Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson said that China always wanted peace, and it never provided any guns or equipment to Russia or Ukraine. Some media came up with information that Russia wanted to buy drones from a Chinese company, but Chinese officials denied it.
China asked Russia and Ukraine to end attacks on civilians and to start peace talks. It was necessary to avoid a nuclear attack.
Difficult words: urge (to strongly encourage someone to do something), deny (to say that something is not true), civilian (a person who is not a police officer or soldier).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Who is the spokesperson for the Chinese foreign ministry?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos