Christmas in Europe – level 3
Governments across Europe are navigating the question how to achieve a jolly and safe Christmas.
In Italy, people won’t be able to attend a midnight mass on Christmas Eve. Besides this, Pope Francis’s Christmas Eve mass will start two hours earlier so that the people who will attend it can be home by 10pm. The Netherlands is closing down for a tough five-week lockdown and there is a limit of three adult visitors per household.
Germany’s traditional Christmas markets have been called off this year; however, drive-through options have appeared across the country. Similarly, in Austria, there will be no Christmas markets this holiday season. In the UK, up to three households will be allowed to meet at home from December 23 until December 27.
In many countries across Europe, people will be allowed in outdoor public places; however, entertainment venues, restaurants and hotels will remain closed.
Difficult words: navigate (to determine what to do), jolly (happy and cheerful), mass (a large gathering of people for a service in a church), venue (a place where something happens).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos